World Fereration of the Deaf
Our Community Manager, Gordon Hay is an Individual Member of the WFD. Let’s explore the organisation and what it really does.
The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) was established in Rome, Italy on 23 September 1951 and is one of the oldest international organisations of people with disabilities in the world.
The legal seat of WFD is in Helsinki, Finland. The WFD is an international non-governmental organisation representing approximately 70 million Deaf people worldwide. The number of Ordinary Members has now reached 134, representing all five continents of the world.
The WFD works closely with the United Nations (UN) and its various agencies in promoting the human rights of Deaf people. The role of the WFD has a strong emphasis on the following:
- Improve the status of national sign languages
- Better education for Deaf people
- Improve access to information and services
- Improve human rights for Deaf people in developing countries
- Promote the establishment of Deaf organisations where none currently exist
Please click on the following link to go to the website. The Databank page provide a LOT of interesting facts and links, it will enable you to learn more about deafness.